Thread: Tips for writing an impressive resume as a GRAPHIC DESIGNER.?

Default Tips for writing an impressive resume as a GRAPHIC DESIGNER.?

I am currently doing Graphic Design for a company in my hometown, but I am trying to relocate to the Atlanta area. I am 23yrs. old and luckily time I graduated I was able to land this job, but now I have gained alot of experience and I want more money and a fresh start. Bottom line...I need to update my resume to make it stand out from the others. I appreciate any help.Thanks!!

The most impressive resume is one that presents a composite picture of the applicant without overkill. In other words, don't try to put too much information in the resume just to try to impress the recruiter. They review lots of resumes, and they can easily spot 'fluff' when they see it. A good resume should include only your career objectives, your educational background, and your actual work experience.

If you want your resume to stand out write it on 'professional' resume paper (you can buy the kit in Office Depot or Office Max) and always include a cover letter. Don't use any fancy fonts or graphics. Don't mention anything about money in your cover letter. State that references can be provided on request, but do not list them on the resume. Do not include information about why you left, or want to leave your most recent position. Call everybody you intend to use as a reference, ask for their permission, then let them know that you are applying for a new position and that they should expect a phone call. Build a portfolio of some of the projects youv'e worked on, and state in your cover letter that you have a portfolio that you look forward to sharing with them during an interview.

When you get the interview, don't act as if money is your most important motivator---even if it is. State that you are looking for an opportunity that will promote your professional growth and be a greater challenge to your skills.