Thread: How to litter train an adult cat?

Default How to litter train an adult cat?

Our cat is about five years old. He used to use the litter box but for awhile he's been going outside to pee and never uses the litter box. We have another cat (10 years old) and she's the only one that uses the box.

The five year old is going into kidney failure. He likes to go outside frequently, especially at night, but we can't let him out while we sleep, so he ends up peeing on bath mats, clothes, bags, and once on the couch in the middle of the night.

We have tried putting him in the box to retrain him, but to no avail. Right now he is spending nights on the porch which we don't really want to do, especially since we know he only has a few more years left. He does not have any other health issues outside of the kidney failure (no urinary infections).

Any help?

Usually cats need NO help using a litter pan, no matter the age. You may want to call the vet.

I had the same problem with an older cat that I had. A vet told me that some older cats kind of get senile and that they will stop using the litter box or use it inconsistently, and that there was nothing that I could do.

I would try getting second litterbox or use the same one and get some of his doody and put it in the litter box make him smell it... you could also get a mat he has peed on and rub it on the litter box and let him smell it. use vinegar on mats so he wont use them again. You could also try putting a litter box on a mat he likes to use he may get the idea. Even if you wash it they can still smell the scent on the mats so he will continue to go on them. I hope you find a solution. It may be very common for a cat with kidney failure to do this. good luck and call a vet.

The kidney failure is the cause. My parent's cat completely stopped using the box and went in the dining room instead. The vet will not be able to do much and you will just have to make the cat as comfortable as possible. I would still take him in to see if it has progressed to the point where your cat is in distress. You don't want him to suffer. Good luck and I hope the vet can recommend something to help.