Thread: What element of a martial art is most important to you when you decide what to...

Default What element of a martial art is most important to you when you decide what to...

...train in? Do you think effectiveness is most important? Interesting forms? A long and proud history? Obscurity? Intensity of workout? Something else?

There's no right answer here, I'm just curious.

For me style, rarity, and exoticness are good factors. As far as practicality or effectiveness, that's important too, but if its more of a hobby and sport than a self defense desire then style is what I like looking for. I have preferences for Kung Fu in particular and especially the arts which involve the animal styles and perhaps some drunken styles.

Condition is number 1! Cardio with strength training!Flexability in joints! Then I would choose at least one grappling art and Striking art to be good at! Then worry about other styles by researching all the history techniques and some applications to that art! Weather taught traditionally,Combative, or hybrid!