Thread: How can I train my English Bull terrier?

Default How can I train my English Bull terrier?

I've had my bully for about 2 years now and he still acts like he's 3 months old. He constantly jumps on people (me included) and bites a lot. It's very difficult to take him on walks because he likes things at his own pace...which is running. My family has decided to keep him in the backyard where he has been for the past year or so. Every time we bring him inside the house, we have to keep him on a leash or else he goes haywire. I'm afraid that the only way to keep him indoors is with his lead. I want him to be able to roam around the house freely. However, he goes completely nuts and runs around crazily.

Any help/tips at all would be very much appreciated.
    T_T

There are a couple of things you can do to help settle him down. Firstly he probably needs way more exercise than he's getting! Even though he's outside all day, he's probably by himself and he will just lie around most of the time.

There's a lot of truth to the saying, 'a tired puppy is a good puppy', I know he's not a puppy but it still applies! Take him for at least 2 good, fast walks per day, alternatively an energetic game of 'fetch', or frisbee would work too.

He also needs some socialization and some basic training (for manners at least!). Enrol in a beginners obedience class, he's too old for puppy classes, but most schools have adult dog beginners classes. I promise, he won't be the only one there that's misbehaving!

He probably goes nuts inside because he's so excited to be with you and your family, and it's unfamiliar to him now so he wants to charge around investigating. You need to show him exactly what's acceptable behavior and what isn't, but it will take time and patience, especially as he's a bit older.

Get him plenty of good sturdy toys to play with while he's inside, and a crate for him to spend 'quiet time' in would also be helpful.

You can find out lots more about dealing with the biting, choosing an obedience school, basic training etc. at the website below.

best of luck!

I proably dont have to tell you that bullys are verry stobern. lol. I would try squrt bottle workes wonders for my pit puppy. you can also check out pitbulllovers.com great trainning tips there . good luck

he walk him on a chock chain will help and wallking him everyday so then he will be to tired to do anything then he will less reckless

Bullies absolutely NEED to be with inside with people, they do not do well outside and left to their own devices. I breed, show and train Minature Bull Terriers. Your bully can be (and should be) brought under control with obedience training; with the goal to make him a full fledged member of the family. Make sure you find the right trainer to get this job done. Many fail and bail when it comes to a difficult dog. If you need referrals to someone in your area you may contact me by email. An excellent site on obedience training is: www.koehlerdogtraining.com. They get the job done, and with a bully you need to do exactly that. Good luck and let me know how he does in obedience class.

If he isnt getting the exercise he needs then he will go haywire when he comes into a place he isnt normally allowed.. You need to be firm with him on walks keep him on a short lead to prevent him from jumping, if he tries to jump on you either turn your back on him or raise your knee to stop him making contact...
    Once he has had sufficent exercise he should be more subdued then you can work on bringing him back into the house, everytime he runs crazily round then put him on his lead he will learn eventually its not something that will happen overnight but aslong as you are consistent he'll get better..

Post What's up?

Hi everybody,
    I'm new! Any news?

Hi! my new, and i have a situation...

I've just got a female bully, she's great! She’s only 3 months

My parents got a male German Shepard, which is a little bit older a week before I took her home. They can’t get along well and I don’t know what to do. First they start playing but then the Bull Terrrier bites him pretty hard and it’s hard to know if they are playing, or if they are fighting.

I really don’t want to keep them apart, but I don’t wan her to become an aggressive dog whit no remedy. I think I’m in time to do something but it’s my first Bull Terrier and I don’t know what to do or how to handle the situation.

Any suggestion?? I’d really appreciate it.