Thread: how do i prepare for an interview for a pastry chef position?

Default how do i prepare for an interview for a pastry chef position?

i recently applied for a student/intern pastry chef position at a fine dining restaurant where i might have to bake something as proof of my skill. i barely have any formal training, but i would say i am very well experienced. i know the basic creams/sauces, types of cakes, various pastry doughs, and some chocolate/sugar work.

is there a pastry chef out there who can tell me how involved is the thing i'm going to be asked to create? will it be like "make me an othello" or "make whatever you want" or "here's a recipe: follow it"? i'm not sure if i should come in with a few recipes memorized or if it's going to be something more basic like "make an italian meringue"

thanks

Have your resume ready, research the company/restauraunt, and tell your interviewer about what you can make and what you can't. Experiment with different pastries and recipes. It depends: You could be asked to make something new for the menu, or you could be asked to make something that's already on the menu. I would assume that they would have you memorize a few recipes and then have you help with others. I would come in with just a general knowledge of all the recipes and their ingredients.

Have your resume ready, research the company/restauraunt, and tell your interviewer about what you can make and what you can't. Experiment with different pastries and recipes. It depends: You could be asked to make something new for the menu, or you could be asked to make something that's already on the menu. I would assume that they would have you memorize a few recipes and then have you help with others. I would come in with just a general knowledge of all the recipes and their ingredients.