Thread: Why have we gone back to 19th century technology?

Default Why have we gone back to 19th century technology?

I have all driving controls on my steering column. Now new cars have controls back between the seats!! I even saw one new car where you have to use knobs to tune your radio!!!

So whats wrong with that. You don't have to take your eyes off the road to turn a knob. you do to look at buttons. There is to much unnecessary junk in cars now a day. Getting rid of a lot of it would make driving safer.

maybe people also just htink it looks cool.like vintage

I'm not sure what contols you are referring to, but I hate it when they put the power window buttons in the middle. I need my right hand to shift and the window is on the left, why can't I roll down the window with my left hand!

I think you mean 20th century technology. Cars didn't have radios or bucket seats in the 1800s. Anyway, good design is about usability, so if placement and interface of controls make sense and works, then it's good design no matter when the design was first introduced. Think about digital dash displays and passive restraints (those seatbelts that moved into place for you), this was the the height of 1980s tech and now we have mostly returned to good ol' dials and manual seatbelts. High technology always doesn't equal high quality.Knobs work pretty well.

Personally I like having a knob on my stero. It allows me to adjust the radio the way I want it, not how some computer thinks works best. If I want it turned down just a hair it's just a small twist. buttons tends to cause to many problems when you want to vary things. Like wiper blades, interior lights, Heating adjustments, and things like bass, trebel, fade. buy what you like. Like what you buy. Don't complain about other peoples tasts..

Errr....I don't think computers were available in the 19th century -- and just because there are knobs on the stereo doesn't mean that they were ever a bad idea. Do you really think cars need a key AND a damn pushbutton in order to start them? How damn dumb is that -- yet Nissan and Acura are all head over heels to install them in every car they build...weird.

id rather have the knobs as all the digital stuff anyway some car company's are trying to build affordable cars so they are using some back wards technology,but there's nothing wrong with that at all, it is reliable ,and works well and your not paying a lot for technology either when you by a car,a lot of the older people do prefer using knobs instead of buttons that make no sense to them,good luck.

Quite frankly, I prefer the reliability and sensitivity of knobs over buttons any day. That goes for radio, climate control, windshield wipers, lights, etc, etc. I've experienced too many failures with "buttons" and the underlying electronic system that malfunctions. I like SOME controls between the seat and some on the driver's side... like window controls. Cars need to make sense when you get into them. I like stereo controls on the steering wheel, but find the newer in-dash displays to be very distracting and rather gaudy. We're rapidly approaching a crossroads where we'll soon need to decide if our vehicle needs to see a mechanic or an I.T. guy.