Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you agree we can't rely on future technology to solve environmental problems?

Default Do you agree we can't rely on future technology to solve environmental problems?

Instead we need to protect the environment, limit pollution, and conserve resources right now with the technology we have.

There is a lot of technology which will help to lessen the impact of environmental problems, if we choose to adopt it. However, it is people's attitudes that are the most important. We could solve many environmental problems without new technology if we would just change our behavior.

We do need to make an effort now, but we can't discount future technology. Saying that we can't rely on it reduces the pressure on people to seriously study and research these new technologies. If we reduce the pressure on our scientists to look for new solutions then we will have to wait even longer for those technologies. While we do need to work with the technologies that we have, it is imperative that we look for more solutions as well.

even if technology proves useful people have to be willing to make changes...right now most people just want to point the finger at everyone else, including "the government", and not do anything themselves....

Future technology is exactly future. More years than we possibly have time for. Use current technology to at least reduce effects on environment and research better solutions down stream. We can not wait for the years total solutions will take!!!!!

The environment will already be destroyed long before technology is sophisticated enough to save it.

No the solution will be a mixture of both conservation and new technology.Several conservation solutions are.1) florescent bulbs or led lights.2) recycling3) Energy star appliances4) tank less water heaters5) sear 13 heaters and air conditioners.Several technology solutions are.1) Wind turbines "wind mills"2) carbon fiber body's for cars this is expected to increase gas mileage between 20 and 30%.3) Solar cells "solar energy"4) Hydrogen fuel5) Bio diesel

I agree with many of the other people who have posted replies. Technology will help, but consumers must drive the effort to sustain our world by making responsible choices. Technology has not found any other plant to relocate to yet. We should take better care of the one we live on now.

As with environmental problems or concerns, there are many environmental technologies available to treat or address these concerns. Technology is in a constant state of development. Revisions or improvements in the treatment methods used today are doing a better job than those same methods without a refinement or process enhancement. An example would be the utilization of naturally occurring bacteria to treat soil contaminated with diesel fuel. That same method would be used today but enhanced considerably with the addition of a nutrient blend and perhaps an oxygen supplement. Still natural bacteria doing the job but with the enhanced process a better job.

Yes and no. I believe that we need to do everything we can now, but that the future technology will make green more available and cheaper which will further help the environment. I hope that made sense. I'm getting tired. lol

I think we need a 2 pronged approach.We need to do our part now, so that the people of the future can do their part when their time comes.We can't rely on them, so we must do our part. But by doing our part, it makes it less of a mess for them to clean up.

future technology? well there are technologies devised to lighten the envieronmantal impacts, but there also will be new technologies that bring new (or even more severe) impacts on nature. Often the impacts can't be foreseen. What scares us that if we realize the impacts when it's too late. Those who's accustomed to "The Limits To Growth" and "Beyong The Limits" Books, will remember a keyword "Overshoot." We don't realize the danger until it's too late. Please think of DDT, think of CFC. The impacts are found long after they are being used by mankind. Oh yes, please refer to Environmental Science: Living in The Environment by Gary Tyler Miller, Jr for the formula IPAT. I=PxAxT, where I = Impact, P = Population, A=Affluence, and T=Technology.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast