Thread: What is the difference between experience and skills on a resume?

Default What is the difference between experience and skills on a resume?

I'm filling out a resume online and it's asking for both my experience and my skills. What is the difference when it comes down to the nitty gritty without repeating myself?

Experience is "what you've already done".
    Skillz...my bad! Skills is "what you can do", like how many words you can type a minute, can you do 10 key by touch, what level of computer knowledge do you have...
    Good Luck job hunting!

Experience is what you accomplished.
    Examples: 'Maintained student spread sheets for school' or 'Wrote weekly column for campus newspaper'.

Skills are tools you possess that might be useful.
    Examples: 'Experience with Excel and Excel Macros' or 'Year of Advanced Word and Word Perfect'.

Skills are somthing you do well. for example: do you speak a language? do you work well with others? things you do well that make you sound you are good for a position.

example: Skills: asl, people person, i work well with computers, I know how to opperate a TTY, organization, strong leadership

experience: I worked at an assisted living home, I woked in sales at a local mall, I have taken computer classes for x amount of years, i orginized and led walk for cancer

skills are what you can do!

experience is where you obtained or used those skills.

so under skills you woudl list your computer skills, research skills, leadership skills communication skills..etc ..whatever skills you have

experience you would list the jobs you worked.

Hi

Tks very much for post:

I like it and hope that you continue posting.

Experience means what you learned in your past and how much you learn from it.
    and skills means that what you can do? what's you ability to do work with excellence. All over if you have both (skills+experience) you can get good position in your career.

Consider you are a computer engineering graduate; you worked for a software company as a data administrator or a developer. You know different database techniques and language for example SQL, TALLY EXCEL etc, but you worked only for excel. So your experience will be counted only for excel, where as you have skills for all mentioned.
    In your resume sample your experience column goes to all the previous employers where you have worked or working currently, the tasks you performed, where as the skills goes to all the qualification or knowledge you have; it does not matter whether you have used them for any organization or not!

difference between experience skills & Skills on resume is that , if you have a experience skills then you can explain it well & you can practically prove it. & other skills in your resume is that you cannot explain it well because you have studied only theory & you have not done practically. So experience skills is important than theyrotical.

Experience is what work you are doing in proper way
    Skill is that the given work should be done by your logic
    As the above example of excel sheet
    maintaining that excel sheet in proper format is work.but logic behind or shortcut use to create that sheet is skill