Thread: Goethe Institute vs. other German language training schools?

Default Goethe Institute vs. other German language training schools?

Is there a significant difference between the Goethe Institute and other German language schools in Germany? The Goethe Institute is very expensive and I'm wondering if it's worth the asking price. I'm afraid to choose another program if the quality of teaching isn't as good therefore I'm leading towards Goethe. I intend to take two weeks off from work to live in Germany to attain the greatest possible level of German fluency that I can. I do speak a little German at present. Thanks in advance for your help.

The main difference is probably price, and I suspect you can get equal quality from other schools. In Berlin, I attended "deutsch institut deutschland (did)" and I was very pleased with the quality of instruction. One of the better instructors from the school has since founded his own institute in Berlin, called Parlando, which you can find here:
    http://www.parlando-berlin.de/index.php?id=84
    I'm sure he's running a good operation, too.

If you're not going to be in Berlin, I can't help you with specific recommendations, but you should just make sure that the instructors are all DaF (Deutsch als Fremdsprache)-certified.

I would be wary of Berlitz because I hear they pay a meager wage to their instructors--which means they're probably not attracting the creme de la creme.