Thread: going into my 3rd year at uni studying graphic design, any ideas for a

Default going into my 3rd year at uni studying graphic design, any ideas for a

final project? ........? im am interested in soul music, sam cooke, marvin gaye, travel, culture, japan, taiwan, cooking, food..........so im trying to think of somthing relating to any of these!

you could make a menu that relates to food and plus some music that would play there. Or either make a poster that has everything in it....

Design a diesel powered cam driven two headed dildo.

You could design a Japanese or Taiwanese cookbook featuring several of your favorite recipes and done in an Asian style. Or a CD/album cover for one of your favorite musicians including the picture to go on the actual CD, a back cover, CD jacket, etc.

Good Luck!

For me GRAPHIC means compelling, distinct, and convincing, and DESIGN means to form something in conception and formation, which could be translated into layout.

So what you should dare to do would be a convincing but distinct layout of some idea. Nothing taken from other designers or mags... just your neurons and your pencils or computer.

I would add in my case, an interesting approach: assembly an idea from historic facts and its evolution to what you think. For example, build an story based on the way people would indicate communicating... how that was said on ancient times, on greek/roman cultures, 80 years ago with those crank phones, then with disc dialers, keypads, and know withj bluetooths/cellphones... and then translate that into the year 2100 or so.

The same a typography item... how on Gutenberg times the alpphabet was being written and how serifs and straight lines affect todays typography and from them, imagine future character families based on needs, when flexible plasma papers start to appear on the market.

The same would apply to future e-mag design. No we got video, audio and text/images on the same page... how would you design from zero a publication considering reader/viewer tendency to do 5 times at the same moment, how color, columns and images affect how people read, and start a design project based on a very vertical kind of audition...

Another interesting subject are company cards. Now, when stock pictures are almost free, and direct laser printing is at any desk reach, nobody is studying how name card presentation affects communication with potential buyers and clients. Size, colors, what elements are required and which are not... how effective the message in that card is...

Or take restaurant menus, what works and what does not,, and WHY! Do a field research, ask some owner to let you place on tables different kind of menus, to determine what brings more pleasure to the costumer and more money to the owner...

there are many things...