Thread: Is technology available to create materials with convenient melting and boiling

Default Is technology available to create materials with convenient melting and boiling

points? I am looking for an agent which evaporates at atmospheric pressure at 35 degree Celsius and melts at 200 degrees at a higher pressure such that the work done to compress it is less than the heat generated due to compression. Or can I choose refrigeration methods other than the vapour compression method discussed above?
    Powered by Yahoo!

I'm not sure you're giving enough information in your question.

The increase in heat generated due to compression is inversely proportional to the amount of time it takes to reach that pressure. In other words, if the pressure is applied over a longer time, the potential increase in heat is decreased in relation to the length of that period. (Applying pressure over time gives the material time to release the accumulated head via radiation or convection. Just because pressure causes an increase in temperature, it doesn't mean it's going to stay that temperature forever. Eventually that heat dissipates.)

Additionally, I'm not sure how something can become a gas at 35 degrees in normal atmosphere, but at the same time become a solid (before pressure is applied) and then melt at 200 degrees under a yet to be determined pressure. It seems like your boiling point is way below your melting point (even at a higher pressure).

Diethyl ether's melting point is pretty close to 35 degrees at normal atmosphere. However it's melting point is well below -100 degrees Celsius. It would have be be under ENORMOUS pressure to remain solid up to 200 degrees Celsius.